Tuesday 25 September 2007

A second time coming

I decided that having reached a significant milestone in 2006, this year was going to be the Year of the Quilt for me, a self indulgence of all things quilty in the hope that I would do some good work and produce some wonderful quilts. I have not produced anything as spectacular as I hoped, but the year ain't over yet and I have committed to making a quilt as a wedding gift, so perhaps that will be the one. None the less there have been a couple of quilts and other smaller works as I tried new ideas or techniques, so it has been very full so far.

It began in February with four days at the Australian Quilt Convention where I did classes with international tutors, learnt a lot, viewed fabulous quilts, made some new friends, spent a few dollars on essential fabrics and supplies for my stash (of course they were!) and did a special deal on the purchase of a wonderful Bernina Aurora. In April I attended the Southern Cross Quilters Retreat in Bendigo having been on the planning committee for a couple of years. It was fantastic to see all our work come together in a weekend that seems to have gone down in history as one of the best retreats ever. Add to that monthly meetings with my quilt guild, regular attendance at a historic quilt study group where we can admire and gently handle vintage quilts, the establishment of a sit and sew friendshop group locally, and membership of two online textile groups. This coming weekend will bring a weekend away with the Committee from the Bendigo Retreat so you can see I have been trying hard to achieve my goals!

The best thing is that it looks as if I might be doing it all again next year. Previous delegates to the AQC ( www.aqc.com.au ) recieve the program for 2008 a week earlier than everyone else, and have priority in bookings for classes. I recieved mine last Thursday and sent my registration the following morning for the full four days and for classes with Lessa Segal and Gloria Loughman - I just hope I get my first preferences. Watch this space.

No comments: