Tuesday 25 November 2008

Visitors galore.......

My sitemeter tells me that there have been more than 50 visitors to this blog today - an all time record to be sure. I cannot say that fame for the standard of writing or my wonderful textile creations has been the attraction, but acknowledge that being the first in Sharon's list of Blogs beginning with the letter 'P' (despite not always being about stitching!) is far more likely to be the cause. Anyway, glad that they did, and hope they may return again - but be warned, this blog is not just about quilting or other textile stuff - that is only a small part of my country existence, so you will find other things that may be interesting........or not!

Today has been warm and sunny - so different from last week, and a walk round the garden this afternoon revealed more new flowers and busy busy bees on just about everything, but in particular on those with blue or purple flowers. I checked the hive a week ago, it is full of new brood but no honey being made and stored yet, so I will not be able to harvest any until the end of summer. I gave a lot of it away, and now have only two pots left of last year's bounty - 12 kilograms - and I plan to keep one until I can compare the taste with this year's batch. It will be interesting to see if it tastes differently as the bees may have been feeding on different plants.

These Common Foxgloves or Digitalis purpurea are a favourite of mine, they remind me of my childhood in Devon in the UK, where I could roam the local farmer's fields and they grew wild in the hedgerows every year. In Australia they need to cultivated until they become established, but will then self seed and reappear each Spring.

Love those speckled throats.......

5 comments:

Doreen G said...

I will be interested Sue to see if the tastes in the honey are different or not.
Love the foxgloves.

Anonymous said...

lovely non-texile photos! i was looking at the photos of the bees on the lavender and reading about the foxgloves - got myself all confused then i kept scrolling. doh! your house looks similar to ours, but with a prettier garden

Carol said...

You are a popular blogger and whatever the reason I love your humorous witing and all your pics, Sue.

Anonymous said...

Your flowers are gorgeous. And the photos you take are wonderful. Thanks for sharing them.

MargB said...

Lovely photos - the foxgloves are gorgeous.