Saturday 15 December 2007

Once upon a time, a long time ago.....

Thirty-two years ago today, without telling family or friends, I married a man I had known for three years in a civil ceremony at the Registry Office, wearing a blue dress bought at the now defunct Georges and wonderful shoes with T-bar straps and three inch heels. He was so different from all those other blokes I had known, of European background, highly trained in a skilled profession, very tall, good looking, funny, clever, unconventional and a little eccentric. The good times lasted a few years and brought two children who became my life as the marriage failed and the man played away from home. It lasted a few more years and then we went our separate ways after each paying vast sums of money to the legal profession to sort out the nitty gritty of our times together. A sad, painful and difficult time which has left some marks, and from which it took another long time for all of us to mend and go forward. I hope I no longer bear any grudges - but no matter what, I know that without him I would not be the mother of two fine young people who are successfully making their own way in the world in their chosen professions and who give me great joy. One of them has a birthday tomorrow....... may it be a happy day.

No comments: