Thursday 6 December 2007

Froggy and the Gov

This evening when I went to pick some rhubarb I found this tiny frog curled up tight in the centre of a giant rhubarb leaf - it looked very cosy and snug fitting into the concave space where the stem becomes the leaf and was not the slightest bit distressed by having my camera so up close and personal. I'm sure the scientist in the family will identify it for us.

I have not been doing much sewing or quilting recently, but spending every spare minute in the garden, trying to make it look less feral so that the Christmas guests will enjoy the view as well as their lunch on my large front veranda. The new pergola is part of this beautification, but I'm sorry to say the builder has not built it according to plan, so it will have to be dismantled and redone. Now we who sew know the importance of measuring, squaring up and getting angles correct or things do not fit...the builder may be able to build houses, and perhaps he felt a garden structure was less important, but he failed to align the posts correctly and so the cross beams were in the wrong place too. Tomorrow it comes down and will need to be done again - I hope it is correct second time around or else the timber will look like Swiss cheese!
I have made a couple of post cards for an online swap, and after the above comment perhaps I should not show them as they too are not totally correct. The central design is printed and not quite on the straight of the fabric, but I still like the effect and perhaps one could imagine viewing these with a bit too much Christmas cheer??

I had the pleasure of meeting the Governor of Victoria today, Professor Dr David Kretser, who was in our area at the invitation of the local Shire, and the guests at the afternoon tea were "those who had contributed" to the local community. He was a delightful man, friendly and unpretentious, there was little formality as he chatted with us all. We were talking about the water situation, and I asked if Government house had any rain water tanks. Apparently there are two ancient ones, not sure if they are in use, but this is one aspect of the property that has been recently reviewed and is to be addressed in the future. He did say that the majority of their rainfall goes into storm water and down to the lakes in the Botanical Gardens, so all is not lost.

Why was I in such esteemed company? I'm on a committee that looks after a very beautiful park in this small country town.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Litoria ewingii ! Should be italicised but I'm not clever enough to work out how.