Friday 4 July 2008

The Fourth of July


Most people know that the Fourth of July is Independence Day in the United States, a national holiday that marks the adoption of the Declaration of Independence from Great Britain on July 4th 1776. Some people may know that it is also the birthday of Queen Sonja of Norway or that the Henley Regatta takes place in England at this time. Another bit of trivia for you to store away is that in 1997 the Mars Pathfinder space probe successfully landed on Mars on this date.

For me today is a date that I always remember, as it was the day my parents married in 1940 in Scotland. My father at that time was a Squadron Leader in the RAF, based in Shropshire at the Central Flying School as Chief Flying Instructor, and responsible for teaching many of the soon to be Battle of Britain pilots how to fly – he was only 27 years old. My Mother was only 23, and had been studying to become a domestic science teacher at the
Glasgow School of Domestic Science – commonly known as the Dough School. Because of the war, she did not complete her training, and married so that if my Father was posted overseas, she could go too. She was a superb cook and dressmaker all her life, passing on her love of sewing to me. I still have her original well worn recipe book from those days as well as her books of sewing samplers, embroideries, and some small garments made at that time. I shall try and post some photos a bit later as the stitches are tiny and they are beautifully made.




This is a photo of them on their wedding day – I believe Ma’s outfit was a light blue.

No comments: